The Adventurer: The Curse of the Midas Box
This might as well be the quintessential Young Adult novel turned prospective franchise.
It has all the hallmarks of the genre:
- Young Adults
- Adventures, as the title indicates
- Foreshadowing for a potential franchise that failed to materialise due to horrible reception from the first film
- A “Midas Box”, which is not a Raspberry Pi pre-installed with Kodi, but a magical McGuffin that can heal people or turn them into poorly-conceived CGI mist
- Veteran actors in bit parts
- Newcomers in main roles, working their asses off in search of recognition that fails to materialise due to horrible reception from the first film
- The classical Aristotelian structure with three acts, and post-climax resolution with an happy ending. Grafted setup for the franchise that won’t materialise
The best thing you can say about this film is that you don’t want to punch the leads in the face after 90min, which already makes it better than even multi-million dollar productions.